High on Ice Winter Festival
The High on Ice Winter Festival is coming up for the 2021 Family Day long weekend!
Scroll down for more information on ice carvings, activities, contests, the business passport program, and so much more!
Festival dates: February 12-15, 2021
Theme: We Are North
Site Preperations will take place from February 3 - 12. Please do not enter the preperation areas in Cetennial Park at this time. Machinery and power tools will be at work. The High on Ice Drive-Thru will be ready at 4pm on Friday, February 12.
Access to the North Peace Leisure Pol via 100 Street will be closed from February 3-16. Please use the rear entrance via 96 Avenue.
Enjoy professional ice carvings safely from your vehicle! Ice scultpures can be veiwed during a magical drive-thru experience where you can take in amazing art, decorations, and creative lighting. All carvings will reflect the "We are North" theme.
Location: Centennial Park (9505 100 Street)
Access: North Peace Leisure Pool rear parking lot (via 96 Avenue) accross from the Crayon Box
Hours of Operation: The drive-thru will open at 4pm on Friday, February 12 and will run until midnight on Monday, February 15.
Exit: Vehicles must turn right oneto 100 Street
WARNING: Vehicles can be no higher than 8.5 feet in height due to an overhead structure. No commercial vehcicles. Small trucks, SUVs, and cars are the preferred mode of transportation.
Helpful Hints to Enjoy the Drive-Thru:
- The drive-thru is a one way route
- Please stay in your vehicle at all times
- Follow all signs and directions - read closely
- Do not pass vehicles in front of you
- Stopping for a quick photo is encouraged but long stops and/or parking is not permitted along the route
- Drive thru exit is right turn only (onto 100 Street)
2021 Carving Team:
o Ryan Cook - Sponsored by Clean Harbours & Lonestar
o Kevin Lewis - Sponsored by Conoco Phillips
o David Ducharme - Sponsored by Fort City Chryseler
o Doug Lingelbach
o Susanne Ruseler
o Ross Baisas
o Tony Baisas
MNP Presents: Single Block Ice Carving Competition
The Single Bock Ice Carving Competition takes place every year during the High on Ice Winter Festival. Each member of the professional carving team is given ONE ice block and TWO hours to create a masterpiece; then, members of the public cast their vote for their favourite single block creation.
Single block carvings will be carved in advance and will be placed towards the end of the the drive thru area. To get a closer look at each piece, check back for up close videos of carvers creating their pieces.
Voting will be avilable right here! Cast your vote between February 13-15.
Thanks to MNP for sponsoring the 2021 Single Clock Competition!
Arts & Crafts
Stay tuned for a detailed listing of crafts and activity ideas that you can do at home! Submit photos of your creations to email@example.com for your chance to win a High on Ice Prize Basket!
- Winter Crafts for kids
- Check back here each day of the Winter Festival for a new Winter Craft idea that you and the kids can do at home! Craft instructions will also be available through the City of Fort St. John Recreation Facebook page!
- Create your own Coloured Ice
- Snow Art
All prize winners will be announced on Friday, February 19.
Stay tuned for a detailed listing contests that you can do at home! Submit your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org for your chance to win a High on Ice Prize Basket!
- Silly Bobsled (Make your own sled at home) Contest
- Snowman Building Contest
- Colouring Contest
- Winter Costume Contest
- Best Decorated home
- Best Decorated Business
- Best Decorated Mask
All contest winners will be announced on Friday, February 19.
Stay tune for a details on the activities that you can participate in at your leisure throughout the festival weekend:
- Free Swimming
- NorthRiver Midstream Free Swim - Sunday, February 14
- Bergen Financial Free Family Swim - Monday February 15
- Pre-booking required (call 250-785-4592 or click here to book online)
- Free Skating
- Tourmaline Free Skates - Friday, February 12 (all sessions)
- Tourmaline Free Skates - Saturday, February 13 (all sessions)
- PETRONAS Free Sweetheart Skate - Sunday February 14 (all sessions)
- Pre-booking required for all free skates (call 250-785-4592 or click here to book online)
- Outdoor Skating at Mathews Park and Kin Park (Weather dependant)
- Storywalk at Fish Creek
- Activity BINGO presented by: Engage Sport North and Freedom Physiotherapy
- Virtual Ice Fishing Derby presented by: Backcountry
- Goin’ fishing this weekend? Head to the fishing location of your choice during the High on Ice long weekend and show us your catch for your chance to win prizes!
- Want to weigh in? Bring your catch to Backcountry (during regular hours on Friday or Saturday) to get an official weight of your catch
- Can’t make it in? Photo submissions will also be accepted and must be sent to email@example.com
- Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place in both a KIDS and ADULT category
- Winners will be announced on Friday, February 19
- Crossword Puzzle Scavenger Hunt
- Follow the City of Fort St. John Recreation Page where clues will be released every day of the festival!
- Winter Photo contest
- Follow the City of Fort St. John Recreation Page on Facebook for more information
- Virtual Cross Country Ski Loppet presented by: Whiskey Jack Nordic Ski Club
- The Whiskey Jack Nordic Ski Club is challenging you to track the kilometres you track while cross country skiing for your chance to win awesome prizes!
- Click here for more information and to get registered.
Looking to get out of the house? We've partnered up with local businesses to offer you sweet deals on activities, food, and goods leading up to and during the High on Ice Winter Festival! Print off your passport here starting February 1 so you can start planning your Family Day Long Weekend!
Take the passport participating business, take part in the deal, and a receive a stamp! Once you’ve collected as many stamps as possible, submit your passport in the designated draw box (at the Visitor Information Centre in the Pomeroy Sport Centre). Can’t make it down to the Visitor Centre? Take a picture of your passport and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to have your passport handed in is Thursday, February 18.
Note: Participants will receive one draw entry for every stamp collected. The more deals you participate in, the higher your chance is to win a prize basket featuring High on Ice swag, gift cards, and more!
Thanks to our Passport Program partners:
- Amazing Escapes Ltd.
- The Artisan Farmhouse
- Beard’s Brewing
- Burger King
- Central Emporium
- Edo Japan
- Engage Sport North
- Ernie’s Sports Experts
- Fort Bowling Lanes
- Fort St. John & District Chamber of Commerce
- Fort St. John Public Library
- Freedom Physiotherapy
- Imagine That!
- Merwin Optical
- Mighty Peace Brewing
- MJ Café Crepe
- Olive Tree Mediterranean Grill
- Steel Toes
- Sticky’s Candy & Toys
- The Toolbox
- Whole Wheat & Honey
2021 High on Ice Event Sponsors
The High on Ice Winter Festival requires a lot of resources. The event receives support from many local businesses and that's what makes it such a huge success. Cash or in-kind donations are accepted and there are different packages available.
- Home 2 Suites by Hilton
- Sound in Town
- Bell Media (SunFM & the Bear)
- Atco Structures & Logistics
- Bergen Financial
- Brandt Tractor
- Blue Wave Energy
- Conoco Phillips
- Clean Harbours & Lonestar
- Fort City Chrysler
- GFL Environmental
- NorthRiver Midstream
- Poorboy Trucking
- Peace Country Rentals
- Driving Force
Become an Event Partner
The High on Ice Winer Festival is organized by a planning committee made up of various community members who represent different non-profit organizations. The vast majority of this group is made up of volunteers who are the driving force behind the community events that take place over the weekend. High on Ice is possible because of these people and their desire to celebrate life in the North.