The Community Charter requires local governments to approve a five-year Financial Plan bylaw each year before they adopt the annual property tax bylaw on May 15. We also often refer to the Financial Plan as the Budget.
July to October – Departmental Financial Plans
Each department creates budgets based on anticipated activities and 2018 – 2023 Strategic Plan priorities. They also account for expected expenses and estimated revenues.
October to December – Draft Financial Plan Preparation
Finance compiles all budgets to make a draft financial plan. We compare the draft to the 2018 – 2023 Strategic Plan to ensure consistency.
September to February – Public Budget Meetings
There are several public budget meetings that allow for public input and review.
February to May – Financial Plan and Bylaws Adopted
We revise the plan based on public input and Council priorities until we reach a final version. That final version allows us to develop the Financial Plan Bylaw. In the Bylaw, we set the property tax revenue we need. This, in turn, forms the basis for your tax rates. Council may amend the financial plan by bylaw at any time during the five-year period.
2020 Financial Plan
- Draft 2020 Budget at a Glance [PDF - 845 KB]
- Draft 2020 - 2024 Financial Plan [PDF - 4 MB]
- Draft Five-Year Financial Plan Bylaw [PDF - 201 KB]
- October 21 – Base Budget Grant Presentations
- January 13 – Capital and Operating Budget Presentation
- January 27 – Supplemental Operating Budget Presentation
- February 10 – Five-year Financial Plan Bylaw Public Meeting
- February 10 – Five-year Financial Plan Bylaw First Reading
- February 24 – Adoption of the 2019 Five-year Financial Plan
- April/May TBA – Adoption of the Tax Rate Bylaw
2020 Budget presentations
- January 13, 2020 - Committee of the Whole - Draft Capital Budget Presentation [PDF - 386 KB]
- January 13, 2020 - Committee of the Whole - Draft Operating Budget Presentation [PDF - 650 KB]
- January 27, 2020 - Committee of the Whole - Draft Operating Budget Presentation [PDF - 724 KB]
- February 10, 2020 - Let's Talk 2020 Budget Public Drop-in Panels [PDF - 2 MB]
- February 10, 2020 - Public Meeting - Draft Operating Budget Presentation [PDF - 276 KB]
- February 10, 2020 - Public Meeting - Draft Capital Budget Presentation [PDF - 237 KB]