Business Facade Program
Thank you for your interest in the City of Fort St. John Business Facade Improvement Grant. Please note intake for the 2023 Facade grant is now closed.
The City of Fort St. John Business Façade Improvement Program is funded through the Northern Development Initiative Trust. This program will run through the City of Fort St. John with support from the Mayor's Standing Committee on Community Economic Recovery, to assist local businesses with renovating, signage, and improving aesthetics of commercial and building areas.
The program is intended to:
- Boost the economic viability and vibrancy of the downtown by supporting visual improvements such as facades, signage, murals, architectural features, siding, lighting, and awnings
- Increase the attractiveness of the community to enhance community pride and visitor experience
- Improve community appearance to support recruitment of new businesses and residents
The City of Fort St. John will provide a one-time 50% reimbursement grant up to a maximum of $5,000 per building/project to improve the facades of the commercial buildings. Buildings located on a corner are eligible for up to $5,000 per side for a maximum total of $10,000. Projects must have a minimum total cost of $1,000.
For more information about this program, download the Business Facade Improvement Program Guidelines [PDF - 3 MB]
The application deadline is April 27, 2023.
- You must be either the property owner or business owner
- The business must be located in the Downtown Development Permit Area (highlighted area)
- Property taxes pertaining to the property must be fully paid and current
- You must have current, valid, business licenses for the property (unless otherwise exempt)
- There must be no outstanding building permits, stop-work orders, or development permit requirement outstanding
- The subject property must not have received a previous grant under this program
Application and Selection Process
Applying does not mean your project or a specific grant amount will be approved. All project proposals are subject to a comprehensive review, must meet high-quality standards, and must reflect the spirit and intent of the Business Facade Improvement Program Guidelines [PDF - 3 MB]. Project proposals should align with the design guidelines of the Downtown Development Permit Area (Zoning Bylaw No. 2470, 2019) [PDF - 4 MB].
The Project Review Committee will consist of two members from the Mayor Standing Committee on Community Economic Recovery and two City staff. All Eligible Projects will be evaluated using the following ranked criteria:
- Does the project for which the funds are being sought meet the applicable design guidelines?
- Will the project, once complete, have a noticeable impact on the streetscape?
- Was a professional designer or architect used?
Development permits are used to regulate specific aspects of development in designated Development Permit Areas such as:
- Form and character of a site and building
- Protection of the natural environment, its ecosystems, and biological diversity
- Protection of development from hazardous conditions
- Revitalization of an area in which commercial use is permitted
For more information about Development Permits and to apply, download the Development Permit Application Package [PDF - 918 KB].