The City of Fort St. John is taking a proactive and principled approach to regulating cannabis uses in our community and now have zoning regulations in place to determine the location of cannabis retail stores in the City. Over the next 18 months, staff will be monitoring and reporting on how cannabis regulation and licensing unfolds in the City.
Allowing Cannabis Retail Stores
Here’s an overview of the cannabis zoning regulations:
- Definitions for ‘Cannabis’, ‘Cannabis Retail’, ‘Recreational Cannabis Production Facility’, and ‘Medical Marihuana Production Facility’
- Permitted in C-2 Downtown Core zone:
- And not within 200 metres distance from schools
- And not within 100 metres distance from parks
Location Map of Available lots for Cannabis Retail Use (for information only):
The Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch has published a Cannabis Retail Store Licence Terms and Conditions Handbook [PDF - 251 KB]. All cannabis retail store license holders must follow the terms and conditions of their license.
Interested in learning more about the application process, view the application flowchart [PDF - 158 KB].
The City receives referrals from the Liquor and Cannabis Licensing Branch (LCLB) requesting a resolution from Council. Based on community and internal input, Council provides a resolution that determines how the LCLB proceeds through the remainder of the application process.
Below is a current list of applications that have received positive resolutions from Council:
- HIVE Cannabis - 9909 - 100 Avenue - December 10, 2018
- Glory Cannabis Company - 9823 - 100 Street - January 14, 2019
- Cannabis Corner - Unit 2, 10108 - 100 Street - January 28, 2019
- West Coast Retail Holdings - Unit 2, 9831 - 98a Avenue - March 11, 2019
- Canna Cabana Inc. - 10027 - 100 Street - July 22, 2019