Home Owner Grant

Home Owner Grant Information

The Provincial Home Owner Grant program helps to reduce the amount of residential property taxes that homeowners pay on their primary residence and is available to homeowners that pay property taxes to a municipality or to the province if they live in a rural area.

If you qualify for the Home Owner Grant (HOG), you must apply each year to receive it.  Only one qualifying owner can claim a grant for a property each year.

You may be required to submit additional documentation to establish your eligibility and home owner grants are audited for up to seven years to ensure applicants are eligible for the grants they receive.

The information provided on this form may be shared for the purposes of administering the Land Tax Deferment Act, Property Transfer Tax Act and Taxation (Rural Area) Act.

You must qualify for the Home Owner Grant

The Province of B.C sets out the qualifications for the home owner grant. To qualify for the home owner grant, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • live in BC, and
  • occupy this residence as your principal residence

You may qualify as a homeowner who is:

  • Regular home owner grant
    • Under 65 years of age
  • Additional home owner grant
    • A senior (age 65 or older in the calendar year)
    • A War Veteran
    • A person with disabilities
    • A person living with a spouse or relative with disabilities
    • A spouse or relative of a deceased owner

How to claim your Home Owner Grant

You can apply by completing the home owner grant application attached to the bottom of your property tax notice and returning it to the City of Fort St. John.

Important:  To avoid penalties, owners are required to apply annually for the home owner grant prior to the property tax due date. The home owner grant is a form of payment and is subject to the property tax due date. Submit the grant even if you are not making a payment at that time, or your mortgage company pays your property taxes on your behalf.

Who can apply on behalf of a registered owner

Anyone with owner permission can apply on their behalf.

Forgot to claim last years grant?

The home owner grant may be available retroactively if you qualified last year and didn't apply. 

You can apply for last year’s home owner grant retroactively if you meet the following requirements:

  • You qualified for the grant on December 31st of last year
  • You’re still the registered owner of the property
  • You paid last year's property taxes; if last year's property taxes have been paid

Anyone with your permission can apply on your behalf.

Apply for Your Retroactive Grant

Your application must be received by December 31st of the current year to claim last year’s home owner grant. To apply you need to complete a Retroactive Home Owner Grant Application (FIN 92)  or, if your property is located in a rural area, complete your Retroactive Home Owner Grant. You may be required to submit additional documentation to establish your eligibility.

Submit Your Retroactive Grant Application

Your retroactive home owner grant application must be sent to the municipal or provincial office that sent your property tax notice. You can submit your application using one of the following options:

  • Online (for rural area properties only) - If your property is located in a rural area, you can submit your Retroactive Home Owner Grant Application online.(link to https://www.etax.gov.bc.ca/btp/eservices/_/).
  • Mail - Send your retroactive application and required documentation by mail to the address provided on your property tax notice.
  • In Person - If your property is located in a municipality, you can drop off your completed retroactive application at the location listed on your property tax notice. For more information, contact your municipality. If your property is located in a rural area, you can drop off your retroactive application at a Service BC Centre near you.

For further information

Contact the Province of British Columbia, Home Owner Grant Program by visiting the BC Home Owner Grant Program website.