Development permits are used to regulate specific aspects of development in designated Development Permit Areas such as:
- Form and character of a site and building
- Protection of the natural environment, its ecosystems and biological diversity
- Protection of development from hazardous conditions
- Revitalization of an area in which a commercial use is permitted
Development Permit Areas
The City of Fort St. John’s designated Development Permit Areas are:
- General Commercial
- Major Corridor
- Multiple Family Residential
- Fish Creek
When to apply for a Development Permit
You need to apply for a Development Permit if:
- You plan to subdivide or construct, renovate, or alter the exterior of a building or structure, including works on a façade or painting only.
- You are located in a designated Development Permit Area.
For more information about Development Permits and to apply, download the Development Permit Application Package [PDF - 918 KB].