Types of Business Licences

The City of Fort St. John offers four (4) different types of business licences, dependent upon your type of business and where it is located.

To apply for a  Business Licence click here. [PDF - 358 KB]

1.Regular Commerical Business Licence

A regular commercial business licence is for all businesses operating in a commercial or industrial area within the City. For more information check as below:

Some commercial properties within the City are in Development Permit Areas so you may require a a Development Permit prior to doing any new construction or exterior renovations. We recommend you contact the Planning & Engineering Department for more information. 

2. Inter-community Business Licence

If your commercial or industrial business has a mobile component, e.g. you travel to other communities to work, but your main office is located in one of the member municipalities, you may be eligible for an inter-community business licence. 

This inter-community business licence is to be purchased IN ADDITION to a regular Fort St. John business licence and will permit your business to operate in the following communities:

  • City of Dawson Creek
  • District of Chetwynd
  • District of Hudson's Hope
  • District of Taylor
  • District of Tumbler Ridge
  • Village of Pouce Coupe

3. Home Occupations Business Licence

Are you thinking about opening a business in your home? A home occupations business licence is required for all businesses that operate within a residence within the City.

For more information click link as below:

The City’s Zoning Bylaw restricts the type of business activities that are allowed to operate in a residential neighbourhood, limits the size of the area used for business purposes, and regulates parking and storage impacts. 

First and foremost, check with the Planning & Engineering Department ensure that the business is acceptable for a home occupation. Since commercial activities are not usually allowed in residential areas, it is important that a home business does not disturb the residential character of an area. The ideal test of a home business is whether the neighbours would be aware of its existence. Some factors that can draw attention to a home business include the following:

  • Advertising or signage on the property
  • Noise, dust, smell or smoke generated by the home business
  • Delivery or collection of products
  • Parking on adjacent streets or lanes
  • Employees who are not residents of the dwelling
  • Storage of equipment or materials in the open

We suggest you check the regulations within our Zoning Bylaw [PDF - 31 MB]  or contact the Planning & Engineering Department to find out if your business is permitted.

4.Secondary Suite

The owner of the Secondary Suite must hold a valid business licence from the City. For more information Click Here

5.Temporary Business Licence (28 Days)

If you need a business licence, and less than 28 consecutive days to operate the business in the City, you may be eligible for an Temporary business licence.