A building permit is required for the following:
- Construction of a new building.
- Construction of a new accessory building or an accessory structure (garage, shed, etc.)
- Renovations, repairs or additions to an existing building
- Completion of a previously unfinished area in an existing building
- Construction of a new commercial kitchen or renovate an existing commercial kitchen
- Enclosure of a porch or roof over a sundeck
- Building relocation or demolition
- Plumbing work
- Connection to municipal services
- Chimney or solid fuel burning appliance (fireplace or wood stove) construction or installation
- Swimming pool construction
Permits are not required for residential fence construction, non-structural minor modifications such as: cupboards, perimeter hedges, painting, or landscaping.
Note: Although the work above does not require permits, homeowners should ensure that the construction conforms to the requirements of the Provincial Building Code and Applicable City of Fort St. John Bylaws.
Things you should know when planning your projects:
- Check the zoning allocated to your property to ensure your intended use is permitted. Refer to the City of Fort St. John Zoning Bylaw [PDF - 31 MB] for in depth descriptions.
- Check the required setbacks from the property lines and the maximum site coverage permitted. Information may be found in the City of Fort St. John Zoning Bylaws [PDF - 6 MB] or by contacting the Planning and Engineering Department.
- Check the location and depth of services (water, storm, sanitary sewer, street lights, gas, hydro, communications, etc.) by calling BC ONE CALL. For Shaw Cable services please contact Dig Shaw as they do not subscribe to the BC One Call. Any inquiries pertaining to municipal services, new service connections, culverts and road accessibility may be directed to the Planning and Engineering Department.
- Check for easements or rights-of-way on your property. Municipal records are not always complete. Easements and right-of-way information is available at the Land Titles Office.
- Check for requirements that pertain to commercial cooking in the Bulletin - Commercial Kitchens. [PDF - 177 KB]
- Complex Building Permit Package.pdf [PDF - 1 MB]
- Standard building permit package.pdf [PDF - 2 MB]
- Form A - Standard Building Permit Application.pdf [PDF - 24 KB]
- Form B - Complex Building Permit Application.pdf [PDF - 189 KB]
- Form B-1 - Declaration of ON-Site Chemicals and Hazardous Materials [PDF - 22 KB]
- Form C - Plumbing Permit Application [PDF - 23 KB]
- Form D - Demolition Permit [PDF - 89 KB]
- Form E - Moving Permit Application [PDF - 89 KB]
- Form F - Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Permit [PDF - 87 KB]
- Form G - Security Fence, Deck or Shed Permit [PDF - 22 KB]
- Form H - Deck Support Declaration [PDF - 84 KB]]
- Form I - Fire Sprinkler Permit Application.pdf [PDF - 37 KB]
- Form J - Fire Flow Calculations Sheet [PDF - 93 KB]
- Schedule B - Owner’s Declaration [PDF - 155 KB]
- Schedule E - Damage Deposits [PDF - 167 KB]
- Schedule F - Paving and Landscaping Deposits [PDF - 88 KB]
- Water Turn On/Off Application [PDF - 75 KB]
- Development Cost Charges Form.pdf [PDF - 24 KB]
- School Site Acquisition Charges Form.pdf [PDF - 19 KB]