City partners with DocuPet to make Dog Licensing easy
December 1, 2023
The City of Fort St. John is rolling out exciting changes in dog licensing and has partnered with DocuPet, a world-leading pet profile, lost pet and licensing platform, to provide pet owners with a more convenient and accessible way to license their dogs.
The new DocuPet system will offer many unique benefits to Fort St. John pet owners, including:
- Previously, all licences expired annually on December 31, but through the new licensing partnership with DocuPet, all licences will be valid for a full 365 days after the date of purchase.
- Convenient registration is available online, by telephone, mail, or in person at City Hall.
- Every dog licence will include DocuPet's HomeSafe™ 24/7 lost pet service at no extra charge. Each DocuPet tag has a unique code on the back that’s tied to that pet’s secure online profile. Should they get loose, anyone who finds them can reference this code and contact the 24/7 dispatch team that helps connect pet finders with pet guardians to make happy reunions happen.
- Residents can upgrade their licence tag to one of DocuPet’s designer tag styles, which are also recognized as a pet’s official Fort St. John licence. Browse hundreds of colourful and unique designer licence tag styles online or design your tag with an easy-to-use customization tool. Plus, pet owners can personalize their pet’s tag by adding their phone number and pet's name to the back for a nominal fee.
- 20% of every designer tag purchase is donated to local animal welfare initiatives, providing much-needed resources for animals in need.
“We are excited to partner with DocuPet as their online licensing solution will be extremely valuable to pet owners and a necessity for animal safety within our community,” said Robert Norton, Director of Public Safety and Fire Chief. “This pet licensing partnership will help to reduce the number of animals in our local SPCA facility and open up space and vital resources for pets that truly need our care. We are excited for residents to utilize this program to help protect their pets.”
With a mission to provide a safe and happy home for every pet, DocuPet’s innovative platform will supply significant resources to Fort St. John, allowing it to operate efficiently and deliver critical animal services. “We are very proud to kick off this effective program with Fort St. John to increase pet identification and reunification services for all residents,” said Grant Goodwin, DocuPet’s CEO. “Pets wearing DocuPet tags spend little to no time in the shelter versus unlicensed pets, and for those pets that do need support and care, licence fees help keep the shelter running. We thank Fort St. John for coming on board to be an impactful part of the solution.”
All dogs residing in Fort St. John are required to hold a valid licence. All licences expiring on December 31, 2023, will be extended to January 31, 2024, to allow owners to transition into the new program easily. Pet owners can learn more and register online at fortstjohn.docupet.com.
DocuPet provides the most advanced pet licensing program in North America, driving ordinance compliance while reducing municipal costs and providing new value to pet owners. DocuPet launched its first municipal pet licensing program in 2014. Since that time, the company has partnered with more than 180 communities. For more information, please visit docupet.com.