Toboggan Hill Off-Leash Dog Park Opens
August 1, 2019
The City of Fort St. John’s much-awaited Off-Leash Dog Park opens today, August 1, at 12 noon. This 9-acre fully fenced Off-Leash Dog Park, identified as a need during the development of the Parks and Recreation Master Plan, turns a previously unused portion of Toboggan Hill Park into an exciting amenity for residents and their pets. This space includes a new parking lot with over 30 stalls, lighted multi-surface trails, benches and picnic tables, three size-separated areas, multiple double-gated entrances, and a dog water fountain.
The largest area will remain closed to provide the grass with an opportunity to establish, and in the meantime, there will be temporary “All Dog” area along with the “Mini Dog” area.
“This truly is an example of how positive community input can develop an attractive amenity for our community,” stated Mayor Lori Ackerman.
It is important to remember the following Off-Leash Dog Park etiquette:
- Dogs must be accompanied by people
- Maintain verbal control of your dog at all times
- Dogs must wear a collar or harness – no spike, prong, or pinch collars allowed
- No aggressive dogs – this includes posturing or mounting behaviour
- If your dog gets in a fight, exchange contact information and leave the park
- Dogs must be licensed and immunized
- No dogs in heat allowed
- Monitor un-neutered dogs closely
- Children under 10 should be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Use caution bringing food into the park and leave glass at home
Due to road construction in the area, the parking lot at the bottom of Toboggan Hill Park is inaccessible and suggested parking is at the top of Toboggan Hill Park off of 96 Avenue or the Pomeroy Sport Centre. If parking at the Pomeroy Sport Centre, please use the trail along 94 Avenue behind the Fire Hall to access the park.