Information for Candidates
The nomination period has now ended. Learn more about the 2021 Municipal By-election and the Candidates here.
Candidates must submit a Candidate Nomination Package between 9 am on March 30, 2021, and 4 pm on April 9, 2021, in order to be included as a candidate for the 2021 Municipal By-election.
The Candidate Nomination Package can be picked up from City Hall between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday or download the Candidate Nomination Package [PDF - 23 MB].
Candidate 101 Workshop
If you are thinking of running for Council, watch this workshop! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this workshop is being offered as a recording. Topics of discussion include eligibility, the nomination process, role and responsibilities, policies and bylaws, time commitment, and compensation.
Qualifications for Office
A person is qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:
- Canadian citizen;
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day (May 15, 2021);
- resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed (October 8, 2020); and
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Managed by Elections BC The Local Elections Campaign Financing Act regulates the manner in which financial disclosures and other related actions are made. This legislation applies to candidates, elector organizations and those wishing to take part in the election process by means of advocacy.
Campaign Period Expense Limits
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2021 local government by-election, the following expense limits for candidates during the campaign period apply:
- Councillor - $9,001.64
Third-party Advertising Limits
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2021 local government by-election, the following third-party advertising limits apply:
- Councillor - $897.48
Additional Candidate Information and Links
- Thinking about Running for Local Office - Government of BC
- Informational Videos - Government of BC
- Responsible Conduct for Council Members - Government of BC
- Ethical Standards for Council Members - Government of BC
- Information about Scrutineers - Government of BC
- Scrutineer Pamphlet - Government of BC