The Corporate Services Division provides support and guidance across all departments of the City. This Division is responsible for tracking the strategic direction and work plans to achieve the strategic goals and objectives of the organization. Within this Division is Finance, Information Technology, Public Safety, and Legislative and Administration Services.
The Finance Department is responsible for maintaining the financial management of the City by administering the corporate budgeting process and accounts for, maintains and administers the revenues and expenditures such as municipal taxes, utility invoicing, payables, receivables and asset management.
Primary functions include:
- Financial Planning and Budgets
- Treasury and Cash Management
- Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Financial Reports and Internal Controls
- Property Taxes
- Utility, bylaw ticket, and license billing and payment services
Information Technology (IT) is keenly focused on customer service as a means to facilitate the effective delivery of municipal services. They support and encourage innovation and operational excellence within all departments by providing leadership, expertise and assistance in the areas of Information Technology and Information Systems.
The Information Technology department develops and maintains the information technology infrastructure and supports client workstations and application use, creating an environment in which technology empowers City staff and the citizens of Fort St John.
Legislative & Administrative Services
Legislative Services' primary function is to provide legislative and administrative support to Mayor and Council through the preparation of agendas, minutes and meeting follow-up. As the link between Council and City residents, this department provides assistance with Council's processes and decisions. Additionally, the department manages the municipal support staff at the RCMP.
Additionally, Legislative Services:
- Provides administrative support to the City Manager's Office and other municipal departments as may be required
- Provides advice to Council on matters pertaining to the Community Charter and the Local Government Act
- Responds to requests which fall under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act legislation
- Prepares Reports, Bylaws, and Policies
- Maintains the corporate records management system
- Provides administrative support for Road and Lane Closures; Land Sales and Land Transfers; Local Area Service Projects and Tenders
- Prepares Legal Notices, Advertisements and Notifications
- Prepares and maintains lease agreements
- Conducts municipal elections and other voting opportunities
The Public Safety Department consists of Bylaw Enforcement, Fire Department, the Emergency Program.
The Bylaw Enforcement Department work to ensure community standards are maintained by:
- Investigates bylaw complaints
- Enforces bylaw regulations and standards
- Achieves resolutions to bylaw infractions through voluntary compliance or enforcement
- Provides public education
- To serve the needs of the community, proactively enforces safety related bylaws, while others are enforced on a complaint-only basis.
The Fort St. John Fire Department carries out fire inspection services, fire investigation, public safety and education, as well as municipal support for emergency and disaster preparedness.
The Emergency Program plans for emergencies, administers Emergency Support Services as required, and educates the public on emergency preparedness.