Frequently Asked Questions By Topic


What are the Provincial Health Officer orders? What about BC's Restart Plan?

The City of Fort St. John is able to enforce all Provincial Orders issued by the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry

While enforcement is possible, the City and Provincial Government are hopeful that all businesses and citizens will obey the orders from the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry.

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020, Premier John Horgan released the four-phased BC Restart Plan which outlines the Province's plans to continue to ensure the health and safety of everyone while resuming additional activities.

How can I get more information about COVID-19?

The province has created a phone service, available 7:30 am to 8 pm daily, at 1-888-COVID19, to provide non-medical info about COVID-19, including the latest information on travel recommendations and social distancing. Northern Health also has set up an information line at 1-844-645-7811. If you have a health-related issue, please call HealthLinkBC at 8-1-1. 

The Public Health Agency of Canada has also created a toll-free phone number 1-833-784-4397 to answer questions about COVID-19.

Additionally, here are some trusted online sources of information:

Both the Provincial and Federal governments are providing daily updates that are streamed online from one of the many national broadcasters including CPAC, CBC, Global and CTV. 

What can I do if I think I may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19?

According to the BC Ministry of Health, if you are experiencing the following symptoms: a fever, cough, sneezing, sore throat, or difficulty breathing you need to self-isolate for at least 10 days. You can check your symptoms online through the BC Ministry of Health's COVID-19 symptom self-assessment tool

Are there any cases in Fort St. John?

The Provincial Health Officer is not releasing that information, but everyone needs to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Whether at home or in public, all staff, residents, and visitors are asked to take the following personal precautions, as recommended by public health authorities:

  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds
  • Cough and sneeze into your sleeve
  • Avoid touching your face
  • Stay home
  • Practice social distancing, ensuring people stay 2 metres apart and avoiding close personal contact

Why is the City allowing construction on Site C to continue?

The City does not have jurisdiction over construction activities at BC Hydro's Site C project. Visit the Site C project website for the latest information about their response to COVID-19 and the effects on construction activities. On March 30, 2020, the Provincial Health Officer issued a guidance document for industrial camps.

Council Meetings

Are Council meetings continuing? Are they open to the public?

Based on the ministerial order from the Provincial Government, Council meetings will no longer be open for the public to attend; however, residents are reminded they can watch Council meetings live or recorded.

Council will hold Special Open Council Meetings on weeks where there is no Regular Council Meeting scheduled.

Residents can submit correspondence to Council, to be included as part of the meeting agenda:

City Services

For updates on City Services visit our COVID-19 Municipal Updates page.

Is transit service continuing? Where can I buy a bus pass?

Yes, transit and HandyDART service will continue. BC Transit has announced that as of June 1, 2020, fare collection and front door boarding will resume. If required, bus passes can be purchased at City Hall. 

Will my garbage and recycling still be picked up?

Yes, City services are operating as normal; this includes garbage and recycling collection, water supply, roads, and sewer services. Please help keep our workers safe by ensuring disposable wipes, used tissues and paper towels, and other cleaning supplies are thrown in the garbage. At the March 30, 2020 Special Open Council Meeting, Council approved a service increase moving garbage collection to weekly service. For more information, visit our COVID-19 Municipal Update page.

Is the landfill still open?

Yes, the North Peace Regional Landfill is still open. As it is operated by the Peace River Regional District, any changes would be posted to the PRRD website.

What is the status of refunds for cancelled programs and private bookings?

City staff are in the process of issuing refunds for facility bookings, birthday parties, special events, and program enrollments, including swimming lessons. Please be patient; in total, hundreds of refunds are in process, and we are working to contact all those affected as quickly as possible. Depending on the method of payment, the refund process can take anywhere between 3-14 business days.

What about my monthly or yearly passes to the North Peace Leisure Pool?

Passes have been suspended while the North Peace Leisure Pool is closed and will resume when the facility reopens.

When will City facilities re-open?

City staff are monitoring the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation, but, as this is a health matter, we will continue to follow recommendations from the Ministry of Health and Health Authority and respond accordingly. At this time, all City recreational facilities are closed indefinitely. 

Will the collection of Property Taxes be deferred? 

Property Tax collection is mandated by Provincial Legislation, the Provincial Government has created a webpage for Provincial Tax Changes that have been announced to date. Council passed the City Relief, Recovery and Resilience Plan that included the cancellation of the proposed 1.25% tax rate increase for 2020 and moved the late penalty date for all property taxes to October 1, 2020.

Where can I find more information and updates on the latest developments?

Further updates on City of Fort St. John operations will be provided on our COVID-19 Municipal Updates page and shared through the City's social media channels, specifically Facebook and Twitter.