Our Vision Our Future. The City of Fort St. John has just updated its Official Community Plan!
“An Official Community Plan is a key document for any community, it is the community’s vision for their future captured through the public participation where our residents shared their thoughts and hopes for our community. Developing this is not an easy task and thanks goes to the residents who provided input, the hard-work of City Staff, and the dedication of Council. The OCP will guide our city’s growth over the next number of years as we continue to take a planned and principled approach to decision-making,” stated Mayor Lori Ackerman.
What is an Official Community Plan?
An Official Community Plan is the highest level policy document – it informs and guides how the community grows for the next 15+ years.
Why is it Important?
The last Official Community Plan was adopted in 2011. Since that time, a lot has happened in Fort St. John, including implementing of a variety of new master plans, strategies and other policies.
The new Official Community Plan will provide a clear guide for Council, City staff, community members, developers, government agencies, industries, businesses and other stakeholders to shape Fort St. John as it grows into the future towards 2030.
The OCP Update Process
Over the last 2 years the City invited citizens to participate to help inform Fort St. John’s vision to guide decision-making for the future. The process included a variety of community engagement activities (World Café, graffiti walls, and visioning sessions), information booths, and surveys. Following the feedback heard from the community, the OCP document was drafted along with maps and reviewed by key agencies for support. Finally, Council adopted the OCP bylaw (which includes the text and maps) at the end of August 2018.
Here is what’s NEW in the Official Community Plan:
- Updated Vision and New Guiding Principles
- Growing Together – section on partnerships extending beyond the City
- Neighbourhood Planning
- Vacant, Underutilized or Brownfield Lands Development
- Activating the Downtown (implementing the 2015 Downtown Action Plan)
- Land Uses, including Downtown Residential, Downtown Commercial Mixed Use, Public Utility, Urban Development Areas, and ALC collaboration
- Community Development sections, including Accessibility & Multi-Generational, Climate Change Adaptation and Financial Sustainability
- Revamped Development Permit Areas
- New background information including Regional Context, Projected Land & Housing Needs
- Updated schedule maps incorporating recent master plans (i.e. Parks and Recreation Master Plan, Transportation Master Plan)
Read the complete Official Community Plan at http://www.fortstjohn.ca/node/28768.