2017 City of Fort St. John By-Election
- February 4 -- Last possible day to meet the 6 month BC residency requirement for candidates seeking nomination (unless nomination period is extended)
- February 8 -- If nomination period is extended, last possible day to meet 6 month BC residency requirement for candidates seeking nomination
- March 7 -- Last possible day to meet 6 month BC residency requirement for registering on general voting day
- June 23 -- First day for giving notice of nomination period
- July 25 -- Nomination period begins at 9:00 a.m.
- August 4 -- Nomination period ends at 4:00 p.m.
- August 8 -- 4:00 p.m. deadline for challenge of nominations
- August 9 -- Last possible day to meet 30 day jurisdiction residency/property ownership requirement for registering on general voting day
- August 11 -- Last possible day to for candidates to withdraw – 4:00 p.m.
- August 30 -- Required advance voting opportunity (according to legislation) - 8am to 8pm at the Pomeroy Sport Centre
- September 6 -- Advance voting opportunity (according to bylaw) - 8am to 8pm at the Pomeroy Sport Centre
- September 9 -- General voting day - 8am to 8pm at the Pomeroy Sport Centre
It is proposed that September 11 will be the date to make the declaration of official election results.
The deadline date for judicial recount applications would be September 18.
A special council meeting will have to be scheduled for September 19 or later in that week to allow the newly elected Councillor to take his/her oath of office.
The by-election will be held at the Pomeroy Sport Centre.
Electors may vote by mail if they:
- have a physical disability, illness or injury that affects their ability to vote at another voting opportunity, and
- expect to be absent from the City of Fort St. John on general voting day and at the times of all advance voting opportunities.
Nomination Documents Submitted:
2017 CANDIDATE'S PACKAGE
- Form C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6 (PDF)
- Statement of Disclosure - Financial Disclosure Act (PDF)
- Candidate Information Release Authorization (PDF)
- 2017 By-Election Advertisement - Notice of Nomination (PDF)
- Financial Disclosure Act (PDF)
- Ministry of Attorney General Fact Sheet – Financial Disclosure Act (PDF)
- Local Government Act excerpts (PDF)
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (PDF)
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Regulation (PDF)
- Excerpts from Sign Bylaw No. 2110, 2012 regarding Election Signage (PDF)
- Maps Indicating Where Election Signs are Prohibited (PDF)
- Candidate and Electoral Organization Election Advertising on City Property Council Policy No. 101/05 (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application Form (PDF)
- List to Indicate Locations of Election Signs (PDF)
- Local Government Election Bylaw No. 2068, 2011 (PDF)
- Mail Ballot Authorization and Procedure Bylaw No. 2067, 2011 (PDF)
- Voter Turnout for Elections 1993 to 2017 (PDF)
City of Fort St. John Council
- Council Committees Portfolio of Responsibilities Council Policy No. 30/17 (PDF)
- 2017 and 2018 Council Meeting Schedule (PDF)
- City Council Allowable Expenses Council Policy No. 98/16 (PDF)
- Annual Remuneration for Members of Council Policy No. 74/17 (PDF)
- Consolidated Council Procedure Bylaw No. 2183, 2014 (PDF)
- Candidate’s Guide to Local Government Elections in BC (PDF)
- Elections BC Guide for Candidates (PDF)
- Election Financing Report Completion Guide for Candidates (PDF)
Campaign Financing Guide
For further information regarding Fort St. John's municipal elections, please contact:
Janet Prestley, Chief Election Officer
- Telephone: 250-787-8153
- Email: email@example.com
Laura Howes, Deputy Chief Election Officer
- Telephone: 250-787-5796
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org