Our Bylaw Enforcement Officers work with citizens in the residential and business communities to ensure the Fort St. John community standards are maintained at a high level.
The Bylaw Enforcement department:
- Investigates bylaw complaints
- Enforces bylaw regulations and standards
- Achieves resolutions to bylaw infractions through voluntary compliance or enforcement
- Provides public education
- To serve the needs of the community, proactively enforces safety related bylaws, while others are enforced on a complaint-only basis.
- Traffic Enforcement
- Unsightly Premises
- Garbage Cart Offenses
- Sidewalk Snow Removal
- Animal Control & Licensing
Bylaw Enforcement Officers enforce bylaws to deal with common complaints such as:
Reporting a Bylaw Infraction
When reporting an incident it is helpful to provide as much information as possible. If the concern relates to private property (i.e. noise, garbage) providing the address is essential. Bylaw Enforcement Officers investigate complaints on private and City owned lands.
Bylaw Enforcement Officers approach each complaint differently; however, compliance and education is favoured over enforcement action.
Responses to bylaw issues are driven by complaints – our officers don’t patrol the streets looking for violations.
If you would like to report a Bylaw infraction, please contact Bylaw Enforcement by calling 250-787-8150 or fill in our Report a Problem form.
Information submitted in a complaint is confidential and will not be disclosed unless required by law. In the event an investigation results in court proceedings, the City may be legally required to disclose the complainant's information. Anonymous complaints will not be investigated.