Building Inspection

Building Permits

A permit is required for the following:

  • construction of a new home
  • construction of a new accessory building or an accessory structure (garage, shed, etc.)
  • renovations, repairs or additions to an existing building
  • completion of a previously unfinished area in an existing building
  • enclosure of a porch or roof over a sundeck
  • swimming pool construction
  • building relocation or demolition
  • trade work involving plumbing, gas, propane, oil burner or electrical
  • connection to municipal services
  • chimney or solid fuel burning appliance (fireplace or wood stove) construction or installation
  • enclosure of a carport

Permits are not required for residential fence construction, non-structural minor modifications such as: cupboards, perimeter hedges, painting, landscaping or sidewalks.

Note: Although the work above does not require permits, homeowners should ensure that the construction conforms to the requirements of the Provincial Building Code and applicable City of Fort St. John Bylaws.

Things you should know when planning your project:

  1. Check the zoning allocated to your property to ensure your intended use is permitted. Refer to City of Fort St. John Zoning Bylaw for in depth descriptions.
  2. Check the required setbacks from the property lines and the maximum site coverage permitted. Information may be found in the City of Fort St. John Zoning Bylaws or by contacting the Building Inspection Department.
  3. Check the location and depth of services (water, storm, sanitary sewer, street lights, gas, hydro, communications etc.) by calling BC ONE CALL. For Shaw Cable services please contact Dig Shaw as they do not subscribe to the BC One Call. Any inquiries pertaining to municipal services, new service connections, culverts and road accessibility may  be directed to the Engineering Department.
  4. Check for easements or right-of-ways on your property. Municipal records are not always complete. Easements and right-of-way information is available at the Land Titles Office. Title Certificates are available from realtors, lawyers, notaries and your local government agency.

Please contact the Building Inspection Department for questions relating to building sites, set backs, permit applications and/or any other building inquiries.

Click here to view TECA's Mechanical Ventilation Checklist and Guidelines.


Inspections will not be conducted unless formally requested by the owner or his/her agent. One full working day notice is required prior to any inspection request. All work to be inspected must be complete and ready prior to inspection. Work must not proceed past any of the stages listed without prior clearance by a City Building Inspector.

Inspections may be requested during normal business hours by contacting Building Inspection Department. In cases where a voicemail message shall be recorded, clearly indicate your contact name and phone number, building permit number, address of worksite and name of required inspection being requested. All inspection requests performed are subject to the availability of a Building Inspector and occur on a first come first served basis.

Questions or Comments?

Contact: BC One Call
Phone: 1.800.474.6886
Contact: Building Inspection
Phone: 250.787.8150
Contact: Development Services
Phone: 250.794.3263
Contact: Shaw Cable
Phone: 1.866.344.7429